What time do you shut down screentime at night for your teens?

I take phones up between 9-9:30 and plug them in to charge at a charging station next to my bed. I’m horrified by how many of my sons’ friends are up sending messages at all hours of the night. My oldest tells me he gets lonely and sad at night and wants to be able to talk to friends but that’s a non-starter. I’m using the same rules as when I was a kid - if it’s too late to call someone on the home phone, it’s too late to text them.

What time do you shut down the screens for your teens?

We do about the same- ours plug their devices in to our family charging station in the dining room downstairs before bedtime, which is typically about 8pm - 8:30 at the latest on a school night (later times depending on if we have later evening practices and activities). On weekend and summer nights it’s a little later depending on if we get to sleep in the next morning, maybe 10pm at the latest. :slight_smile:

1 Like

We also lock phones at 9pm every night. Bedtime is around 10pm so we try to get at least an hour of no blue light activity before bedtime. I agree they shouldn’t be texting all hours.

I use Bark but also found that it works best with Android devices. On top of that I use Google Family Link which I can lock the entire phone (Except for emergency calls) so that they can’t use it for text. Not sure about iOS but there might be something similar you can find if you use an iPhone.

1 Like

We shut down at 6:00 pm on school nights and 10::00 or 11:00 pm on weekends and holidays. (We turn the WiFi off.) My teen (13 year old) just got a phone. We take it to our room at night to make sure he actually sleeps at night.

1 Like

Bedtime is at 9:30 and the expectation is that phones are shut down at that time as well.

Just FYI, they can still text when family link is locked. They have to keep unlocking it and only get a few seconds but they can.

On Apple products, you can set the phone, iPad, or iPod to automatically shut down whatever hours you want. It’s in settings, you just put in a master password. My kids devices turn off at 9pm. They turn back on at 6am. They can “request” more time if it’s a weekend and it sends a message to my phone to approve of not. You can also limit their app times. So my kids get a total of 4 hours app time weekdays and a little more weekends.
So, I don’t have to fight with taking phones away and they can still use their phones as alarm clocks for school.
The nice this about this is if I want to go to bed early on a weekend and they want to stay up and watch a movie, I don’t have to wake back up to take the device away.

My kids also found that they can still use Google Assistant when Family Link has their phones locked.

Hi! I’m new to bark and am looking forward to learning more about it… Is it possible to shut down everything through Bark? Thanks

I use family time to control screen time, lock the phone and block apps. Bark is a great addition to the family time, since with the family time I can’t actually SEE what he is looking at. I use both so I can control and see everything. I recommend it

what Apple product is this?

We use screentime on the iPod 7 (the newest) and the iPhone 8

1 Like