Voice messaging bypassing bark

I wanted to let other parents know that I just recently did a unannounced check on my daughters phone. She is 14 years old. I have seen she has been bypassing the bark monitoring by using voice messages instead of typing out her messages. Most of her messaging is on Instagram chat. Listening to her voice messages she was speaking profanity words and speaking badly of me which of course hurt my feelings quite a bit but I just wanted to let others know. Do random checks on your child’s phone. Bark can’t catch speech.

Hi Katherine! Meg here, from the Bark team! So sorry to hear your daughter was using voice messages to try and bypass Bark. Bark is able to monitor voice messages on some platforms, including through text message! Unfortunately, we are not able to analyze voice messages that come through Instagram Direct Messages. Here’s a detailed list of all that we monitor: What Bark Monitors on Each Device, App, and Social Media Platform | Bark App

I also wanted to share our Parent Response Tool Kit, a guide we put together to help parents address harder topics, and I certainly hope it is helpful for you and your family. https://bark-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/guides/Bark-parent-response-toolkit.pdf.

Lastly, if you decide that you would like to block Instagram or any other web sites or applications, you are certainly able to do so by managing your screen time rules in your parent dashboard. Here’s a quick guide on how to do that: Managing Screen Time & Web Filtering Rules – Bark

As always, if you have any questions or you want to chat, feel free to reach out to us at anytime at help@bark.us or by visiting bark.us/contact. :sparkling_heart:

3 Likes

I noticed that my daughter was doing this too, but by talking through her headset on gaming platforms :confused: