Thinking you’ve got Screen Time / Apple Family set up so you have to approve apps with “Ask To Buy” on? Feeling secure that you have to approve all app purchases? Here’s something you may not know

":apple::iphone:Tip for parents of iPhone kids:
Thinking you’ve got Screen Time / Apple Family set up so you have to approve apps with “Ask To Buy” on? Feeling secure that you have to approve all app purchases? Here’s something you may not know: :bulb:

Once an app is owned in your child’s iCloud, it cannot be deleted from their iCloud library (per my lengthy convo with Apple). It can be redownloaded by your child at any time without “Ask to Buy” again! :bangbang:

Example: maybe you previously allowed SnapChat (or it was installed without your knowledge or before you set up parental controls). Even if you made them delete it, they still “own it” and can redownload it again at any time without Asking To Buy.

The only way to block this is to remove App Store Access by:
Settings > Screen Time > (choose child) > Content & Privacy Restrictions > iTunes & App Store Purchases > Installing Apps > Don’t Allow. You’d have to turn the App Store On and Off as needed to install any new apps.

The other option would be to disable deletion of apps. While this won’t stop them from installing, hypothetically if it were secretly installed, when your child goes to delete it they wouldn’t be able to, then you’d find it installed. Some kids think they can get by by installing, secretly using an app, then deleting so that when a parent checks the phone they don’t see the app installed. By blocking Deleting Apps you could see anything that has been installed.
This is in:
Settings > Screen Time > (choose child) > Content & Privacy Restrictions > iTunes & App Store Purchases > Deleting Apps > Don’t Allow.

Kids can also install any Family owned shared apps that you may have in your library. Example: if YOU own SnapChat, your child can install from your purchase library, and you will NOT have to approve with “Ask To Buy”!

There are 3 ways you can stop your children from freely accessing your app purchases you may not want them to have:

1: Disable Family Sharing by tapping your Apple ID up top, selecting Family Sharing, and turn off Purchase Sharing.

2: If you opt to have Purchase Sharing on (because it can be handy):
-Open your App Store.
-Tap your profile pic in the upper right corner***
-Tap Purchased
-Tap My Purchases
-locate an app you do not want to share, swipe left on it, and tap HIDE.
-it is now hidden from your Family, and your children cannot freely shop from your Library of owned apps.

3: Set your child’s Screen Time Settings to:
Settings > Screen Time > (choose child) > Content & Privacy Restrictions > Allow Changes > Account Changes > Don’t Allow.
-Now, there is no profile for them to tap on the upper right corner of their App Store to access Family shared app purchases.

*** If you do NOT see the profile pic in the upper right corner of the App Store, this means you have option 3^ set up already. If you need to make changes or want to Hide any of your purchases, you will need to temporarily Allow Changes to your Account to access. You can disallow Changes after if you need to.

Please know that even if you Hide an app in your CHILD’s purchases on their Account, it does not stop them from seeing it in the App Store. They can simply search their previously owned app (even if Hidden) and they will see the Cloud symbol and be able to tap and redownload it again at any time. Hiding their owned apps doesn’t remove it from their owned Library.

I hope this helps some! :slightly_smiling_face:"

:star: Original post here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/parentinggeeks/permalink/392845004678879/

" Yep to all of that!
Also, if you turn off the ability to delete apps and want to be able to check what they have on the fly, I would think you should be able to view, from a parent’s phone, all apps currently installed on the child’s phone by going into the Always Allowed list in Screentime. That’s where you can select which apps should turn off during downtime and which should be always allowed. In theory that should be all the apps they have specifically on the phone right?"

:star: Original post here:

Yes! We did all of this from the beginning, in addition to having a password so complicated, I can barely remember it! Sure, it’s a little cumbersome to download updates, but I just make it a part of my weekly routine to go in and update apps, and then back the phone up to my computer. (This is in addition to our monitoring with Bark and ScreenTime restrictions. I just back up for my own peace of mind in case the phone is lost/stolen.)

1 Like