The dreaded Chromebooks

We help parents lock down devices and get their kids’ technology on monitorable platforms. One issue that comes up over and over are Chromebooks. Our first suggestion is always a comprehensive wifi filtering solution like Circle, paired with Bark to monitor Google Docs etc. When we learned that Google won’t allow Bark to monitor their accounts for kids under 13, it caused us to have to re-evaluate our strategy and recommendations. How are other pre-teen parents monitoring account-level activity on Chromebook? We have heard really negative feedback about using Google Family Link, and it doesn’t do anything about questionable content kids share within G-suite. What are pre-teen parents using? (Once kids are 13, my recommendation would still be Circle and Bark working in tandem. In cases where clients have tried Circle and don’t like it, we would recommend Mobicip and Bark in tandem.)

All great points, and this is a good topic! Thank you for asking! I don’t have an answer, because we personally went with Windows for our kids’ computer for schoolwork. Chromebooks are basically an android computer, and couldn’t do many of the things we wanted our computer to do. But I’m glad you asked and I’m interested in hearing from others. At this point, I don’t see a way for parents to implement a service for monitoring google under age 13. :frowning: (other than the old fashioned read through everything yourself / checking their history).

2 Likes

I also went with a Windows based machine for my daughter’s school work, but she has access to Chromebooks at school. Fortunately, the tech department is on top of blocking websites, and they use Bark, but I still worry about things that might slip through the cracks!

1 Like

Oh I guess I did not have an issue adding Bark to my sons Chromebook because his account is under my name?? I didn’t know that about under 13!

Yes! Read more info on Google for kids under 13 here.