Snapchat account impersonating my child

So it has come to my daughters attention that there is a snap chat account created by an unknown person impersonating her. Using her first and last name as well as her cell phone number. She only became aware when close friends kept inquiring about “her” Snapchat. She’s not allowed at this time to have an account and I am not on Snapchat either. Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions on how we can determine who has created this account pretending to be her, and how I can have it removed? Or even if there’s legal avenues I can take? It’s quite disturbing that someone impersonating her could possibly be inappropriate or even cyber bullying her or others without us or others ever knowing who’s really behind the account. Please help!!

I hate to go “nuclear” but your best bet is to call the police. They will have the best tools at their disposal for handling it within the community.

4 Likes

Sounds like you has a Snapchat and doesn’t want to admit it to you. I dig just a little before contacting the police. In the meantime I’d hold onto her phone to see if any one posts. If they do while she doesn’t have it then I’d definitely go to the police. Could be her friends too

2 Likes

Yep I’ve already investigated that bc that was my first thought…that she had done it behind my back. But after having some others already on Snapchat look into it, it does appear that it was created by a 3rd party. And obviously is fairly easy to set up an account being someone else…all you have to do is know the cell number and/or email address or use any one of your own. Of course, friends know each other’s cell numbers and email addresses… after discussion with Bark support I think I’ll create my own snapchat account and do my own digging (when I have her phone in hand and when I dont) so I can be sure what’s going on. Then if I do find out that it’s a 3rd party and who that is, I believe I will make my way to the PD. Stay tuned.

2 Likes

I would report the account to SnapChat if you’re sure it is a fake: https://support.snapchat.com/en-US/a/report-abuse-in-app

But also, if it’s tied to her phone number, I wonder if you could try to log in and choose “forgot password”; the password reset may send to the phone number, enabling you to then log in, change password, and deactivate the account? Worth a shot?

7 Likes

Also think of her email address. She should change her password. After that if you need, go ahead and reset the snapchat password and delete account. Make sure to report to snapchat too.

2 Likes

Same exact thing happened to my 15 yo but we think it was her friend and are pretending to be her. She made mistake of giving “close” friends her password. She reached out to Snapchat service and no reply.

1 Like

Your child is the only one able to setup an account with her phone number, as she needs phone number verification. I hate to break it to you, but that is your child’s snapchat account.