Should I be monitoring my (almost) 17 year old's phone?

“We have a 16 year old son (17 in a couple of months) who has an iPhone. We have Life360 and OurPact on the phone but no “monitoring” apps. We’ve thought about Covenant Eyes or another monitoring app and allowing more freedom with accountability, but we aren’t sure. He has made some poor choices and also broken our rules a couple of times so we have taken all social media away for a time, but we can’t keep him grounded forever. I am starting to feel like we are restricting too much but my husband wants to restrict more. He has TicTok and IG but no Snapchat. He has proven he can’t regulate how much time he spends on the phone so we set limits but I would like to start allowing him to make more choices since he’s less than a year and a half away from 18. My husband and I just don’t know what to do anymore, the whole tech world is just so overwhelming. We are trying to protect but also want to teach him how to make wise choices. Any advise from parents with older teenagers and young adults would be helpful.”

:star: Original post here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/parentinggeeks/permalink/412089112754468/

“Our son is the same age (turning 17 this month) and has IG too with no Snapchat. We use covenant Eyes and Bark on his phone. He also has a time limit on his phone. Even though it’s just a year til he’s 18, he’s accepting of the regulation even though he doesn’t like it. And I think it takes a while of being willing to have others regulate before being able to self regulate. I think self regulation doesn’t kick more easily until years down the road. So as a minor under our care we think it’s still good to give him all the support we can. It’s not a crutch or a hindrance to learning. It’s a partnership to help protect our young adults from things they know will hurt them even though they are sometimes drawn to them.”

:star: Original post here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/parentinggeeks/permalink/412089112754468/