No screen time before 2 years?

I know that the AAP suggests no screen time before 2 - but I just don’t see how that’s possible to completely avoid screens in this day and age.

“Co-view with your children, help children understand what they are seeing, and help them apply what they learn to the world around them.”

https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2016/10/21/498550475/american-academy-of-pediatrics-lifts-no-screens-under-2-rule

1 Like

Dr. Victoria Dunkley has some great information in her research and her book “Reset Your Child’s Brain” about how viewing a screen is much different than interacting with a screen as far as a child’s neurological response. Like Caroline pointed out, co-viewing is an important point of differentiation… children need to parents to help them interpret the messages they are receiving.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing! I will have to read this book.

1 Like

I admit - my daughter had plenty of screentime before the age of 2. As parents, sometimes we’re just in survival mode. I did try to be careful about what she was watching, and tried to find as many educational videos as we could. She really enjoyed the Leap Frog series, and I fully believe they helped her become an early reader. (She was very young when she started reading on her own.) I love what Caroline pointed out about helping them interpret the messages. That’s the MOST important thing.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! Agreed.

2 Likes