Is there an option to receive all texts from my kids?

Hello, I am new to this app. However I have managed to figure out things pretty well, but I was wondering if there was a way to monitor all of my child’s texts instead of just a few things picked up by the filters provided by the app? When my kids turn their phones in I opened my app and held it next to their phone and there was a good number of questionable things that Bark missed because it was put into “Youth Lingo” as I call it. Kids these days have such a weird way of talking. So, is there an option out there that will send me all of my child’s texts and I can go through, so I don’t have to go back to taking their phones and reading texts?

Hello, Greg! Welcome, and thanks for posting! Bark’s AI looks for a variety of potential issues, such as cyberbullying, sexting, drug-related content, and signs of depression.

If a potential issue is detected, a text/email alert is sent to you to review the issue, along with recommended actions on how to handle the situation. While you won’t have full, unfettered access to all activities, you will see any concerns we send notifications of. Bark’s AI is continually learning and is able to keep up with the latest teen slang and lingo, as well as emojis, etc.

If you are finding context that you believe you should have been alerted on have haven’t been, Bark’s support would be happy to have a deeper look to ensure your children’s devices and accounts are monitoring properly. Would you please send further details, screenshots, times / dates of questionable activities to the team by emailing help@bark.us so we can better investigate and assist you? We’re here for you, Greg! Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Jodie - this is a great ask by Greg. While I agree that it doesn’t sound like a whole lot of fun to read every text message on our kid’s phones, it would be a great option to provide us subscribers. If my kid was ever acting differently (out of the norm), I’d like to be able to keep an eye on all texts for even the slightest of clues that can aide in my parenting. While I understand it’s not a great alternative to just simply talking to my kids, I find having access to all of my kids’ communication vital to staying on top of things. Again, I appreciate your AI and the messages I receive, but please give us parents the option to read all messages when necessary. Thank you!

2 Likes

Thanks so much for your feedback and insight. :slight_smile: As a parent, I can understand where you’re coming from and why this can be important. Bark’s mission and purpose is to keep kids safer by alerting parents of concerns, while still giving kids a bit of privacy by not showing parents all activities- just the concerning ones. This helps to build trust, and kids appreciate that they still feel they have a bit of privacy. It’s also what sets Bark apart and makes it unique from other “spyware” services. Being the main ethos of Bark, it is for this reason our service is designed the way that it is and only shows parents potential concerns.

What works for me personally as a parent is to go ahead and grab my kids’ devices to do a little further investigating when needed. I hope this article will provide some tips on what to do when you receive concerning alerts. If ever the Bark team can help, please don’t hesitate to email us at help@bark.us. Thank you! :slight_smile:

I have to jump in here and agree with the parents that posted here. Although I do understand the thought behind the reasoning around what your saying at the same time lack of this feature makes Bark much less intuitive. I have already found myself numerous times trying to understand the context of conversations because only portions get flagged. Sometimes I will only get one side of a conversation because the person my child is texting set off the alert. I have no way to see what my child was saying because their side of the conversation was not outside the alert threshold.

You have a great app here that would be a lot more effective without imposing limitations. I would hope you agree that some situations may require a more intrusive monitoring than others. Why not let the parents choose the right level of insight that matches theiR situational needs? Does Bark really feel this choice needs to be made for the parent?

2 Likes

Maybe this is an easier way to say this…

Mutual trust is something parents will always be working on with their children. That should be independent of the tool. I have 4 kids and each of them require a different level of monitoring based on age and current situation. They also all know the monitoring is there and trust I will investigate the details of an alert to make sure they are ok. They are good with the plan and your software being on their phones. The software and advise from Bark has helped so thank you.

Omitting data creates extra effort and makes the child wonder why I need their phone. If a text or a chat is flagged all messages relevant to that conversation should be available and part of the alert.

2 Likes

I agree. For example, I had a “potential problem” alert. I checked it out and it’s only a section of the conversation. I wish there was a way to see the entire exchange.

1 Like

While I understand the initiative of Bark is to provide a platform that caters to both the child and the parent; if all of the paying subscribers want to see this feature, wouldn’t it make sense to evaluate this in a new release?

Secondly, is there a place to request feature updates besides this community forum?

Thank you,

Hello, Rob! Thank you for your feedback! Bark was created and designed to help families build trust and stay safer by allowing your children to feel free to express themselves online in a safe and responsible way, while also giving you peace of mind that there’s a safety net. :slight_smile:

You may absolutely always reach Bark’s team with questions, comments, and/or feedback at any time by emailing help@bark.us. We appreciate you!