"Last night I received the following email and Instagram DM from an apparent rising HS freshman based on his Instagram bio (w/school name and graduation year). His gmail is his first name, middle initial, and last name, again with his HS graduation year. This was in response to the Savvy Cyber Kids Instagram post where I was interviewed about social media use and its link to depression.
- I feel bad for him. He needs help. Somehow, he thinks behavior is OK.
- If he is doing this to me, imagine how many other people, forget adults, what about peers(!) he is doing this too.
- He went out of his way to go to the Savvy Cyber Kids website and find my contact email address.
- He obviously never attended one of the sessions I run at schools where we discuss not putting personal information in social media bios, using empathy and respect when posting, etc.
- His parents (or other caregivers) are not checking his tech usage. If his they used Bark, they would have been notified of his actions.
If you were his parent/caregiver, would you want to be notified that he did this? I know, not an easy answer.
BTW, this does not personally offend me, it just shows how much more we need to do to educate today’s youth. I’m just getting warmed up!"