How to handle teen Sexting

How do you deal with a teenager who is SEXTING? Do you take phone away? Just have a real discussion about it. Then let them have phone back? How long do you keep the phone away? If given back, how do you know it won’t happen again?

Obviously getting bark on the phone, and any other suggestion for monitoring. We have androids by the way. Also, if my child gives me their sign in information to their accounts, how do I know they are not hiding other things on their phone? How do I keep them from going behind my back and getting anything I take off phone back?

I’ve reset the phone before to factory settings, and my child was able to recover pics, and accounts that I unactivated. I basically need to restart with my child’s phone, and maybe a new phone number.

I found this article about talking to teens about sexting. It is Bible-based, so I don’t know if it’s considered appropriate in this venue. But even without the scriptural references, it’s got some really practical advice on how to communicate with a teen on this subject. https://www.jw.org/en/library/magazines/g201311/talk-to-your-teen-about-sexting/
Good luck!

1 Like

May want to try IPHONE, I believe you can shut off the camera with them and lock it down so they cant get new apps and it’ll let you set limits on content.

I get the inclination to block, reset, etc. My issue is how do we teach healthy sex habits? We don’t do it by blocking it. It requires honest conversation and honesty. Parents need to be more open and less inclined to ignore, deny and admonish what is natural for everyone. We have all been teens. Who taught us? Chances are better than not we were lest to our own devices and that just perpetuates hiding and shame not to mention misinformation and ignorance. Be open with them and be clear about consequences of certain actions.