How safe is Roblox?

Can my 10.5 yr old play it safely? Can you turn off chat?

“My husband is a gamer and he checked it out when our kid was asking for it. Our concern is that while a lot of it is probably fine (with certain settings in place, obviously), fundamentally, the content is user-generated and not well moderated, so the potential for inappropriate content is very high.”

:star: Original post here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/parentinggeeks/permalink/386105758686137/

2 Likes

So as nerdy as I am, I play Roblox with my kids actually. Roblox does try to block out inappropriate content like if you try to cuss or say something sexual it hashtags everything like #### ### ###. Now a lot of kids have kind of figured out how to get stuff to come across still like using spaces and special characters but I will say they have really tried to make it safe. You can’t type numbers either so you can’t give out a phone number or something like that.

3 Likes

I’m really impressed with the way Roblox has handled trust and safety - great job on their end given the amount of kids (and potential predators) that use their platform every day!

2 Likes

My concern about Roblox is the messaging feature. Anyone can contact your child. I have 3 personal friends in my life that have found their child being groomed through the messaging feature. If this feature was gone I’d be fine with it. However, messaging allows anyone access to your child and I have personally watched it hurt people.

My son and daughter both play. My son is 8 and daughter is 10. You can turn off safe chat if your account is older then 13. If you want to make it that safe chat is on simply make an account for your child and lock it so that they can not change the dates they were born on.