Child with Ticks

Does anyone else have a child who ticks? I noticed my sons ticks (blinking in particular) gets significantly worse when he doesn’t have a device. I’m sure it’s due to the distraction aspect but I’m not sure how to help him cope when he is off device.

Ugh. I wish I had the magic answer for you, but I don’t. Ours is not device related, but my son is 13 and rubs his nose / face HARD any time we have a “serious talk” or he is in trouble. He’s done it for YEARS. It’s clearly an emotionally triggered thing and not a physical itch. I keep gently reminding him to be gentle with his face, he’s tearing up his nose, the spread of germs by touching his face with germy school hands, etc. I’ve tried just ignoring it, too, but that hasn’t helped either. I’ve even tried the fidget spinners and fidget cubes, etc., to keep his hands busy.

I have mentioned it to his pediatrician(s) and they don’t seem concerned. He is otherwise a happy & healthy child with no other ‘issues’ medically or otherwise to speak of. He does seem to have high anxiety and is a people-pleaser / doesn’t like to fail. It’s just his “thing” and it is what it is I suppose. :confused:

1 Like

Thanks for your response @Jodie. I don’t think his is necessarily tech related either. Definitely exacerbated by stress. But it it becomes more noticeable when his mind is idle.
It was recommended by a therapist to just ignore it. And that the more it is mentioned the more prevalent it becomes. They usually outgrow them.
Your sons nose rubbing reminds me of the lip licking. My youngest is in that stage. I think all my kids went through that one. They ended up with very chapped lips. I do hope your guy finds another way to cope. It sounds like you’re doing what you can to help.
My sons tick does seem to ebb and flow. School just started and some family tension recently seem to have caused the recent uptick but when his tech time runs out for the day it becomes so prevalent until he settles down with a book or other tactile activity.
Raising kids is so hard.

1 Like

Yes, we are hoping he outgrows it! But it has been going on for a few years now. At least we are not alone. It’s not the worst thing, just more frustrating than anything! :confused:

My daughter has a VERY specific tech-related tic. When she’s playing a game, she will flap her arms up by her face and make this kazoo-whistle-music noise. She ONLY does it while gaming or on the computer working on an assignment, and she’s totally unaware she is doing it. It has resulted in her being teased for it. I’ve tried everything I can think of to break her of it, as 6th graders can be so mean.

1 Like

You’re absolutely correct. I don’t think any kids have said anything about my son, but one of MY friends actually made a comment to me about his tic and mimicked his face rubbing and it really stung my feelings pretty good. :frowning:

Yep! Our daughter was diagnosed with Tourette Syndrome in 5th grade. Her tics are always minimized when she is focused on something, so we have learned to keep her pretty busy. She does children’s theater and dances, and we are always shocked that she hardly tics at all on stage. Most kids with Tourette or transient tics will tics more when they are nervous/excited/angry, etc. so it makes sense that when they are focused and calm they would tic less.

1 Like

Look into PANDAs or PANs…a lot of kids that have PANDAs or PANs have tics…it’s related to strep and can be managed. Look for a dr. that specializes in it!!

1 Like

My daughter is also diagnosed with Tourette’s and is not tech related. She does her tics more when she is stressed out or frustrated or anxious. She sees a neurologist but most of the medication does not help only one of them has benefited her for a short period of time. I heard alot of teenagers or preteens are suffering from depression anxiety and stress more than ever and sometimes result in tics. So sad!!!