Ability to enable alerts for new text contacts

Is it possible to enable Bark to send a parental alert when a child sends/receives a text for the first to/from a new number or contact? This would be very useful to know if there is a new person a child is communicating with.

Hi there, Thomas! Thanks for reaching out. We value your suggestions and feedback! :slight_smile: The purpose of Bark’s monitoring is to alert you to potential concerns that you may need to address such as cyberbullying, sexting, adult content, sexual predators, profanity, drug-related content, signs of depression, suicidal ideation, and more. While Bark would not alert on new contacts or numbers in general, it certainly would if there was a concern attached to that conversation.

In your parent Dashboard, you can also view your child’s “Top Contacts”. This might be helpful to alert you if your child is particularly active with a certain contact.

If there’s anything Bark’s team can help with, please don’t hesitate to message help@bark.us or visit bark.us/contact any time.

1 Like

Thank you for the quick reply. I see the top contacts and that is very helpful.

2 Likes

Does your child have an iphone? On my son’s iphone I have it set so he can’t add or edit contacts without my parental control password. They can still lie and add someone under a secret name, but at least you would know it is a new person so you can be on alert to monitor the situation. With this setting your child also won’t be able to read incoming texts from numbers that are not in their contacts. It will still show they received the message but they can’t view it. If you want to see it, you as the parent can temporarily add the number to their contacts to see it. Then delete the text and contact after viewing. I’m not sure if you can do this on Android phones or not. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the idea. My child has an Android phone. I’ll need to look to see if there is a similar setting to what you describe.

On Android the parental settings are under “Google Settings” and from there you can install the Family Link app to monitor their phone, but I’m not sure that it has anything to monitor new contacts. Good luck!

@ltorrance2011 Do you mind sharing how to restrict the add/delete contacts on the iPhone? I didn’t realize that could be done!

1 Like

Sure, this is how I did it on my son’s iphone SE.

Go to “Settings”
Then “Screen Time”
Select “Communication Limits”

Turn off “Allow Contact Editing”

If you have parental settings set up on their phone then you should have a password specifically for parental settings. Anytime they want to add or edit a contact you will need to enter that password. Anytime my son adds someone to his contacts I make sure to add them to my phone as well…you never know when this could come in handy.

3 Likes