7th grade is affecting my daughter's mental health

"Can someone educate me on the ins and outs of online school for a now 7th grade girl? She claims to be really struggling with school. The getting up early, the stress and anxiety around not being good enough, the other students, etc. Bark sent me this alert so she is either working on what she wants to say to me or just knows that Bark will send it to me (haha).

"Hey mum, if you’re reading this, that means I was finally comfortable enough to talk to you about it. I don’t completely understand if you immediately say no, but I’ll respect it…

So, I have been thinking and I really want to do online school. Maybe not this year,but 8th or 9th. Hear me out, I think this could be a really good mental break for me. Though I don’t talk about this kind of stuff with you, I’ve been dealing with a lot of stress and anxiety in school. The pressure that I’m not good enough, pressured into doing things I know are wrong, and it’s just how it goes. This generation doesn’t have the understanding to realize what they’re doing is wrong and I don’t want to be a part of that.

You just want an easy way out of work-

I know what you’re thinking, you don’t want to stay safe or not become more worldly, you just want easy grades! My response to this is no. Online school is no easier than public school. I’ve looked really far into this and I’ve found that most of the time, online studies can even be harder."

:star: Original post here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/parentinggeeks/permalink/312927592670621/

“er words sound so sincere. She must be going through so much. I really think you should explore all the options with her. I’m guessing you can meet with the school district and find out more. I know homeschool folks have groups. But whatever it is, let her try it. My son is 15 and last year was terribly stressful on him. They’ve basically made it so if you have a 3.5 or less you can’t get into a. 4 year California university. He really struggled and most of the kids in his freshman class where nearly 16! So two things for thought. 1) it’s not worth losing your kid to suicide or drugs over school and 2) in the big picture, one year, even if not successful for online school, is nothing in the big scheme of things. She’s begging for change. Let her trust her gut You taught her to trust it and she needs you. Meet with your local high school principal or the high school counselors. You got this mom!!”

:star: Original post here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/parentinggeeks/permalink/312927592670621/

My child struggled terribly in middle school. If your child is reaching out please listen. Count yourself very lucky they are speaking to you about the issues at school. My child fell into deep depression after being constantly bullied, pressure to be cookie cutter ( like everyone else). They were unable to express themselves or explore. We changed schools and my child is doing much better. Don’t ignore these requests

2 Likes