16 year old daughter is not pleased I want to take tech at bedtime

“I have a 12, and 16 yr. old. I am thinking about taking all the phones and technology out of their rooms before they go to bed. My 16 yr. is not pleased and argued, that we have the circle? Why do I need to take her phone and computer? She likes to listen to music in the am. However, is rarely on time in the am. I would love to hear from parents with children close to the same age or have gone through similar situations. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions are welcome.”

:star: Original post here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/parentinggeeks/permalink/245258586104189/

“No technology in rooms at night in our house. Studies have shown it disturbs sleep and even if my kids aren’t on, too many of their friends are texting and Snapchatting well past midnight - they both have Alexa for music and alarm clocks. It works just fine with their laptops and phones downstairs on the charging station.”

:star: Original post here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/parentinggeeks/permalink/245258586104189/

1 Like

My daughter is 15 and my son is 13. We do not allow phones in their rooms at bedtime, we either lock it up in a spare bedroom to charge or they charge in our room. My daughter is a competitive swimmer and has to get up ~3:45 for morning practice and many of her friends text until midnight or later, so this was a non-starter for us. While she complained in the beginning, she quickly became adjusted to the change.

I dont understand why this is a negotiation. You’re the parent. Kids can be displeased all they want. Like someone mentioned, EMF’s from the phones near the bed are more disruptive than anything. If you have circle, disable all activity at a time you designate. Stop negotiating with your children. You’re making decisions in their best interests.

1 Like

I have 17 & 13 year old girls and we make them put their phones on the chargers in our room. That way they can’t be sneaking around to look at them or take them back to their rooms. And our rules are they can’t have them in the morning till they are completely ready for school.

Great advice here. I disable the features on my 15 yr olds phone at 8:45p because her bed time is 9p. The only reason I don’t take the phone is because she uses it as an alarm for her 5:30a wake up. You don’t owe your kids an explanation, do what you think is best for them… and no one who lives rent free has the right to argue with decisions :wink:

2 Likes